Wednesday, July 20, 2011

January 2011

The Journey… Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. ~Hebrews 11:1

February 10, 2010 Volume: I Issue: 11

I am pleased to announce…the COTN International Christian Academy opened January 4, 2010! And with that, my work here is done…not really! When I began preparations to come to Malawi, COTN informed me that it has been a dream to open a secondary school for 3 years now. Many generous donors (including my own students from Colorado) have raised thousands of dollars, and COTN was ready to start the building and planning phase of the school. Originally, I was going to help with the planning, curriculum development, and teacher training. As it turns out, I am now the curriculum developer, Head Mistress, Biology, Mathematics, and Physics teacher, keeper of the budget, manager of the Matron and Patron, and…you name it! I can be found handing out toothpaste and break dancing with the kids as well. Needless to say, I am very busy. However, when the kids thank me with tears in their eyes, or say, “Wow Auntie Annie, you brought us these books, you must really love us.” It makes it all worth while.
The school is just one Form I (freshman) class of 29 students; 10 girls and 19 boys. They are all COTN kids, so while I am their teacher, I am also their parent. When they are misbehaving, I have to have the parent and teacher talk with them. This has provided me the opportunity to get to know the older kids and to really form a trusting relationship with them. Many of them have a hard outer shell, they have been through more in their short lives than I could ever imagine. It is hard for them to trust adults, let alone one in a position of authority. There is a fine line to walk between teacher and parent, but we are taking things one day at a time and are really enjoying one another. Of course, this also means I have 29 kids living on campus with me, so when they think it is appropriate to play football in my yard at 6:00 am on a Saturday; I also get to play the grouchy neighbor.
I tell them every day how much I believe in them and how many people in America believe in them and want them to succeed too. All of these kids would not be in school today (as they were not selected to schools by the government) if it weren’t for this school. Thank you for your support and belief in us. May you know the value of a penny and the way that each one you have donated has been used to change the world, literally.
I have attached a few pictures of the class, get to know these faces, they are making history and will be the very children who will one day transform this nation.
At COTN International Christian Academy we are, “Raising children who transform nations through quality education in a Christ-centered environment; enabling them to create positive and lasting change in their nations.”
Thank you to all of you who continue to support me financially and prayerfully, it means more than you will ever know.
Love- Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment