Wednesday, July 20, 2011

October 2009

As I sit and write my September update, it is hard to believe it has only been one month, so much has happened! My colleagues, Esther and Chance, and I have been very busy conducting teacher workshops in our villages. We decided that if we wanted to raise the standard of education for our children, a good place to start would be the schools where they learn every day. We have been graciously welcomed and supported by three government schools and have conducted workshops on inclusion. We are working with teachers who are so desperate for help and so appreciative of new knowledge; they literally write down every word I say!
School in Mgwyai is also going along very well. The children are learning to read and write and are still so excited for school! Their English is coming along well and we get to “chat” a little more each day.
This month has also brought with it the talk of construction for the secondary school and the building plans are moving along through the approval process.
My favorite time of the week is still my Wednesday afternoons at Chitipi. I work with my same group of five kids and we are having a lot of fun. Last week the kids took pictures of each other and their farm and we are sending them to the United States with letters to our pen pals. We can’t wait to hear back!
This past month I was also asked to coach the swim team at an International school just down the road. I have a team of 60 ranging in age from 5-16. Next week we are headed to Zambia for a meet where we will compete with teams from Zambia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe and South Africa. I am having so much fun; I didn’t realize how much I missed coaching!
September also brought with it my first visitors from the United States! My mom and friends, Cathy and Jamie, came for two weeks. As I played host and tour guide, I had the opportunity to share with them the kids that make life here so sweet, the frustrations that make life here a challenge, and we spent relaxing at the lake. It has been nice to have company and to be able to share the warm heart of Africa with people who will now go back to the US with peace and understanding of what life is like and why even the frustrations are part of my love of this crazy journey.
As always, thank you for your belief in me and my journey. Your support and encouragement are truly a priceless gift. Until next month, please keep me in your prayers, and know that I am doing the same for you~
Annie

Donations can be made online at: www.hc3.org
Memo: Annie Brown- Malawi

No comments:

Post a Comment