Wednesday, July 20, 2011

November 2009

Blood, sweat, and tears…I have been in Malawi for just about five months now. It is hard to believe that is has been that long! I think this month it is appropriate to share with you the blood, sweat, and tears that have defined my October. Blood? In the form of countless scratches from my new little friends, Chikonde (love) and Madalo (blessings). I now share my home with two 9 week old kittens. I got them mainly to keep the mice away, but they are proving to be good company and entertainment! I am also pleased to inform you that I am now dwelling in a mouse free home!
Sweat? Summertime in Malawi…I am melting faster than a Colorado snowman. The daily temp averages between 95 and 100 degrees and I find myself lethargic and tired in the afternoon. However, my hydration is in check, as cold water is a welcome treat! I find it hard to believe that it was Halloween, as it is so hot here and I find myself feeling like I am trapped in July. 
Tears? I find life in the third world utterly exhausting! Grocery shopping, for example, requires at least two hours and trips to three or four stores to get everything on the list. Most of the time there is a shortage of something, so I can’t find things I need. This is not just true of grocery shopping; it is true of just about every outing. Throw in a little bartering, a language









barrier, the disaster that is called traffic, a probable stop by the
traffic police demanding money to let me go and a few goats and that just about defines every outing. Exhausting. Most of the time, the little quirks that make Malawi Malawi are amusing…but when I am tired and have run into obstacle after obstacle, sometimes I find myself crying in the middle of town set off by something trivial. I am sure these are the same little obstacles that I will find myself missing one day…It is also these same little outings that keep me dependent on God. I have to keep seeking Him and His purpose as I search for peace in my own heart about my time and work in Malawi.
In the education realm, we finally have approval to start our secondary school in January! The first day of classes will be January 4th. We don’t have a building yet, so we are renting classrooms from one school and a science lab from another. The logistics are not all worked out yet, but it exciting and energizing to think that we will be up and running in no time! Of course this means I have a lot, and I mean a lot of work to do, but I am looking forward to the challenge.
Thank you for all of your prayers and contributions! We are hoping to break ground on our own building in January. I am finally going to spend all of









the pennies we have raised! Please continue to pray, as the stress of opening a new school and building can be a challenge. However, it will be good to have our kids on campus and to be in touch, daily, with their education.

Until next time, thank you. Your support and encouragement do not go unnoticed or unappreciated.
Love- Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment