Wednesday, July 20, 2011

March 2011

April showers…are finished, which brings us to the end of the rainy season in Malawi. We are now entering Winter which means no more (ok, less…) mosquitoes, no more (ok, less…) humidity, and best of all, cooler temperatures! It is also harvest time which means plenty of food for families and their children, which means the people of the villages are eating well and hopefully health conditions will improve.

We have just finished mid-term exams at the COTN International Academy. It is hard to believe that just four months ago I was wondering if we would make it. I am proud to say that not only are we making it, we are thriving. Test scores are better than ever before for most students. The students have gotten used to my American accent, so communication is improved, and they are learning to think, investigate, predict and take risks; quite a change from the rote memorization they are used to!

The Country Director, Yobbe Lungu, was speaking to the students a few weeks back, and he was reminding them (and me) that, not only are they making history in Malawi, but that they are miracles. I took some time to reflect on his words, and it hit me. Merely ten years ago these children were the babies that were starving with nothing but water to eat. They were the little ones in the villages that were the worst off. They were the orphans, the abandoned children, the abused…no food, no families, no hope. Today they have a family in COTN, they are taking exams and scoring 80% or better, they have a hope and a future. Miracles.
Many of my days in Malawi are emotionally overwhelming. There is so much need, and so many times that I feel so inadequate. These students have helped me realize that how important it is to do what I can with what I have. I am teaching the future leaders of Malawi. I can help 30 of them, each one of them can grow up to help 30, and each one of them…that is how lasting change occurs.

Again, I cannot thank you enough for your support and encouragement. A friend recently asked, “What is the best way to help?” I replied, “Help those who are helping.” Without supporters, the teachers, doctors, nurses, physical therapists, engineers, counselors, pastors, and others who are helping train the current and future leaders of this country in a way that is culturally appropriate would not be able to make an impact. My children and I could never begin to repay you, but we do promise to keep learning, we promise to keep helping others, and we promise to continue to make a difference where we are with what we have.
Until next time, all my love-
Annie
For updated pictures, visit: anniebinafrica.blogspot.com
or find me on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment